Bio

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Weebly to the Rescue!

It has been way too long since I posted...time to get back to work.  Nothing specific today, just some musings about what I am thinking about right now and what direction I want to take my classes in in the next few months.

I just started experimenting with Weebly last week and I like what I see so far.  Teachers can register for the free education version and are given 40 student accounts, get a colleague to sign up via your referal and get an additional 10. 

What I like so far:
FREE, FREE, FREE...now to the specifics.
1. The students things up quickly and it took very little training on my part to get them creating within the first class period.
2. I can manage all of my classes (I have created 3) and all student accounts from my login page.  When students forget their login or password I can solve the problem quickly and easily.
3. It was quite easy to create each class and input student names & passwords.  (I made the password the same for every student and gave them the option to change them at a later time.)

Drawbacks:
I really shouldn't be complaining, after all weebly for education is free.  However, I quickly realized that each student can only have one website at a time, and can only publish 5 pages on their website.  I am not a big fan of paying for online resources, after all, we don't know exactly how long they will last.  However, I am truly thinking about paying the $40 to upgrade to a pro account.  Students can each have up to 10 websites, with unlimited number of pages.  I joked around with a class of 18 that we could all split the cost, and a number of them were quite willing...I didn't take them up on the offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment