Bio

Thursday, June 10, 2010

How Twitter Transformed My Teaching

Now that the year is nearly over, I have been thinking about the changing nature of my teaching and development as a teacher.  Traditional professional development, delivered by the school to the masses is helpful and it exposes a large number of people to one particular idea or viewpoint.  I wanted more, and the answer came when I started to use twitter as an individual professional development source.  I was skeptical at first.  I didn't know who to follow, what to read and how often I should check in with my account.  However, I quickly realized that whenever I logged in, something useful was being written by someone that I followed.  Once I got involved in #edchat discussion, my PLN grew, the ideas came faster, my network spread and the learning, ideas and a progressive view of education came quickly.  Twitter re-energized me as a teacher.  It allowed me to see a world of educators that I didn't know existed.  I thought I was in an isolated bubble, I found out that I was surrounded by like minded educators, who are excited, want to see change and are passionate about making it happen.

How to Use Twitter to Grow Your PLN | Edutopia

Twitter as a PLN (Personal Learning Network)

5 comments:

  1. One of the best things about twitter is that, if used properly, it does bring like-minded people together. I share your views towards it. It's been one the most important tools I found out lately mainly because most, if not all, people in Twitterville are looking for professional growth. And growth comes much more easily when there's sharing.

    Another example of Twitter bringing people together - I found your blog because of it.

    Cheers,

    Henrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have had the same experience. My wife signed me up for Twitter so she could check it out and I found a whole new world of amazing dedicated teachers. My teaching has improved and my resource base has exploded thanks to my PLN that I did not have before Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am beginning to see the same kinds of returns. Sharing on the internet is a wonderful way to grow. One way I explain this is that people simply don't really listen to those they work with every day. I guess you just tune out those people you get used to.

    It is always great to meet new people and spread what you have learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to getting more teachers in my building on board with using twitter as an individualized pd tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.screencast.com/t/ZjIyNjEyZ

    ReplyDelete