Bio

Friday, June 4, 2010

MindMapping X "Looking for Lincoln" X Glinkr

My U.S. History I Honors class has been exploring President Lincoln this week, and I have been trying to expose them to Lincoln the individual, president and father, not just the mythical Lincoln.
We have used a number of resources to accomplish this goal:

PBS' "Looking for Lincoln" by Professor Henry Louis Gates (the entire documentary is viewable online)
Was Lincoln a Racist, The Root, Feb. 12th, 2009.
The Emancipation Proclamation
The Gettysburg Address
Lincoln: Great or Reluctant Emancipator

I would normally have them write a paper that explores Lincoln, tries to demystify the man and determines if he was a "great" or "reluctant" emancipator.  However, this year I have decided to have them create a mindmap of their understanding of Lincoln.  I came to this decision based on my experience of using iMindMap Pro on my iPhone.  IMindMap has allowed me to capture my thoughts quickly, and organize them visually / conceptually that I couldn't have done if I was writing a traditional paper.

The MindMapping tool I chose was Glinkr.  I chose this one because of the ease of use and more importantly, Glinkr will generate an embed code that my students will use to publish the mindmap in their blogs.  One important tip: for an embed code to be generated, the student must chose to not make the timeline private, or once the timeline is created, choose "Edit Properties" to change the timeline from private to "Creative Commons".

I hadn't used Glinkr until this morning (I am assigning the mindmap today) and I quickly figured out how to create, link and move ideas within the mindmap.  Here is a quick test Glinkr that I created...when the student mindmaps are done I will include a few in this entry as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment