The RSA animate video project is wrapping up, time for a reflection.
I have received some positive feedback about the project from my students, educators on twitter and other teachers in the building. Based on the level of participation, quality of the final product and overall excitement and energy in the class I think the project was a success.
For anyone who is interested in the same type of project, here is the process.
1. Gather information - I usually spend about 2-3 weeks per topic. In this time the students are gathering information about the topic we are studying. (Students read, analyzed and wrote about a primary source document for each Enlightenment thinker we covered.)
2. Create - We spend about a week per unit creating something. Within the week of creation here was our schedule:
Monday: Planning & Writing
Wednesday: Begin Filming
Thursday: Filming & Voice overs
Friday: Finish voice overs
3. Students complete story boards for each scene in their film & wrote scripts for the voice over.
4. Once students were ready to film, we set up the classroom with three "frames" on the front dry erase board & had flip cameras set up on tripods facing the board.
4. When the filming is complete I used iMovie to edit the video clips together.
To manage the number of projects (25), within iMovie I created a new event for each group and created a Project Folder for each class period, and a project for each group.
5. Once the video was imported from the flip camera, the audio is stripped from the footage and the footage is sped up to 400%. Here is a tutorial on how to speed up footage in iMovie.
6. Each group would then individually record voice overs in the hallway. Within iMovie, there is an easy voice over feature that allowed each group to record the audio in about 10 minutes. Here is a tutorial on doing voice overs in iMovie.
Here are two final products:
We will be finishing up all of the projects tomorrow...I am exhausted. Managing this many groups, video clips, editing, voice overs and anything else that pops up is challenging. But, watching every student in every group participate to make sure the project comes together is extremely rewarding. My students are engaged, excited, collaborating, thinking and contributing to a positive learning environment.
If you are interested in trying out a similar project, send me a message via twitter: @gregkulowiec or leave a message on the post.
Thanks for reading.